What we are looking for:
We welcome proposals each year for the Doris Crowston Gallery at the Sechelt Art Centre. We encourage proposals for exhibitions and artwork that will challenge visitors, provoke conversation and connect to pressing concerns of our time. While membership in the SCAC is not required in order to make a submission to the gallery, selected artists must become members if they are selected to exhibit.
We are looking for submissions from the greatest range of art mediums and forms. As we have limits for what we can display, we encourage you to visit the Art Centre before submitting a proposal. We have a commitment to education and engagement, and present at least one workshop/talk/program with each exhibition. We encourage submitting artists to be willing to present an artist talk or demonstration, or have a suggestion for another program (performance, music, dance, etc) related to their exhibition.
Please click here to view the gallery floor plan.
What to include:
- Statement of Intent – maximum 300 words; describe the proposed exhibition. To show strength and cohesiveness of concept, please discuss your vision of the exhibition, including a description of the art and the number of pieces to be included.
- Artist Statement – maximum 300 words. In relationship to your current work, describe your artistic concerns and your art making process. Please include a short biography
- Your résumé, including exhibition record.
- Flash Drive/USB stick 6-15 images, jpg/png/tiff, 300 dpi, sized to 8”x6”, 2400×1800 pixels. Label with your name and the name of the work.
- SCAC will also accept a Dropbox link to your images. Please use email@example.com to link to the Dropbox folder.
- If you want your images back please include a self-addressed stamped package suitable for mailing or by pickup. See postal & courier/delivery addresses below.
- Do not send original work.
- Incomplete submissions will not be presented to the jury.
- All submissions will be treated with care. The Sunshine Coast Arts Council assumes no responsibility for lost or damaged submission materials.
What we offer
If you are accepted, you will work with the Director/Curator to plan and install your exhibition and any accompanying programs. The SCAC also commits to the following:
- Security: gallery with monitored security system.
- Marketing/Communications, Promotion.
- Hosting an Opening Reception and at least one other education/engagement program
- Professional exhibition installation support including all didactics and signage
- A modest honorarium
Things to consider
- The jury meets once a year. It is composed of curators, collectors and volunteer artists active in the arts community.
- Two concurrent exhibitions are often scheduled for each time slot in the next calendar year.
- Artists will be notified by email within six weeks of the completion of the jury process. No telephone calls please.
- Accepted proposals will be kept on file for reference until after the scheduled exhibition.
- Artists accepted to exhibit are required to become members of the Sunshine Coast Arts Council.
- Declined entries will be returned in your self-addressed and stamped package, or by pickup.
June 30, 2020 by 5pm
Dropbox link to:
Sunshine Coast Arts Council, P.O. Box 1565, Sechelt, BC, V0N 3A0
5714 Medusa St., Sechelt, BC, V0N 3A3